Whether it’s a morning cup of coffee or an early work out, people all have their daily routines and for PR professionals this includes checking social media sites. For those PR people out there we all know that feeling, you’re in your morning groove, you get settled at work, log yourself into what you think is going to be the easy part of your day and, BAM, Facebook decided to reformat over night and you don’t even recognize your Twitter feed. Forget social media promotions for your clients, at this rate, it’s going to take you all morning to figure out how to return to your profile page, but this is just how social media works. Technology is constantly evolving and modifying itself to keep things fresh and exciting and we PR pros must find a way to keep up with it.
- Get started with your daily dose of blogs. Sign up to RSS feeds and spend the first part of your morning catching up on your social media news. Focus on blogs that are updated daily and mainly discuss social media technology like: SocialTimes, Social Media Examiner, TechCrunch and SocialMediaToday.
- See what other agencies have to say on webinars. Webinars are great sources for social media news and they are offered by agencies every day. You can find free webinars by searching on Twitter or registering on webinar directories, like www.webinarlistings.com , to find hundreds each day, or you can pay to attend even more in depth webinars.
- Find out what’s new with trending topics. Because information travels at such a rapid pace make sure to check what’s trending on Twitter along with checking your daily blogs. Remember that it’s important to try and avoid tailored trends. You can also use www.whatthetrend.com for explanations on certain trends.
- Sign up for newsletters. Get the best social media content from the web and check out www.smartbrief.com or www.socialfresh.com to receive daily newsletters with important articles.
- Chat about popular topics with Meetups and Tweetups. Catch up with like-minded individuals on popular trends and topics to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Use www.meetup.com to find social media gurus.
- Learn your stuff with training and certification. Educate yourself and take a course on social media, like a training program or certification course through www.womm-com.com and www.hootsuite.com.
Do you think that these are all effective way to stay on top of the game in world of social media? What are some ways that you stay up-to –date with your social media news?